The City of Princeton, Illinois Board of Fire and Police Commissioners is seeking applications for a lateral-hire list for qualified Police Officers.
Qualified applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Basic Police Operations Successfully completed Training at a police training academy and is certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board; and,
- Have been employed as a full time sworn Law Enforcement Officer for a period of not less than twenty-four months by a municipal, county, university or state law enforcement agency.
Interested applicants will participate in a hiring process consisting of the following steps:
- Complete and submit application provided by the Board, along with resume and all other documents requested in the application.
- Applications will be screened by Board for accuracy and completeness.
- Qualified applicants will then be interviewed by the Board.
- Applicants will then be subject to a background character investigation
Post-offer examination will consist of a psychological examination, polygraph examination, medical examination, vision screening and drug screening and such other examination as the Board may determine necessary from time to time. The persons on the Lateral Appointment Eligibility Register shall take on a rank as candidates in the order of their relative excellence as determined by members of the board of fire and police commissioners. Generally, the consideration of relative excellence shall be based on the following qualifications, in no particular order:
- Law enforcement experience.
- Law enforcement training beyond the Basic Law Enforcement Course.
- Training and experience in specialty law enforcement functions.
- Result of oral interview.
- Result of background investigation.
Applicants are notified that the Lateral Appointment Eligibility Register does not expire; instead, applicant's names shall be stricken from the Register after two years from the date of original application. Applicants are permitted to re-apply to keep their names on the Register.
Under the Collective Bargaining agreement currently in place between the city and the Department, the following applies:
An officer currently eligible for lateral appointment would enter the City of Princeton Police pay scale under the following guidelines;
- 2 to 4 years of experience - Year 2 level
- 5 to 9 years of experience - Year 3 level
- 10 or more years of experience - Year 4 level
An officer currently eligible for lateral appointment will start at Year 1 vacation leave (Section 12.1).
All lateral hires will start with no seniority regardless of years of previous service at another department.
Applications are available at the Princeton Police Department, 605 Elm Place, Princeton, IL 61356; or, City Hall, 2 South Main St., Princeton, IL 61356.
We consider application for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information or any other legally protected status. Applicants are not obligated to disclose expunged juvenile records or adjudication or arrest.